Where are your facilities located?
We provide a variety of locations throughout the area in order to better serve you. Whether you live in Dayville, Danielson, Plainfield, Central Village, East Killingly, Pomfret, Putnam, Killingly, Moosup, Brooklyn, or any of the nearby communities, one of the properties below will suit you perfectly:
- Brooklyn Self Storage is located at 313 Allen Road in Brooklyn, CT 06234. This property is one mile off of Route 6, east of the Brooklyn/Danielson border. We’re about two miles from exit 91 off I-395 and located near the Brooklyn Walmart.
- Dayville Storage is located at 1019 N Main Street in Dayville, CT 06241. This facility is just south of the intersection of CT-12 and CT-101, providing quick access to Killingly Commons Shopping Center and Kohl’s.
- Mechanic Street Storage is located at 221 Mechanic Street in Danielson, CT 06239. This facility is less than a mile from exit 92 off I-395, in a residential neighborhood near Risom Mill and just around the corner from the old Killingly High School.
I’ve never rented a storage unit before. How does it work?
Our units are rented on a month-to-month basis, meaning there is no long-term commitment. We can handle all aspects of signing up right over the phone emailing you documentation including the agreement, facility map and receipt. If you have rented storage units before and are comfortable with self service there is no need for any appointment. We recommend you complete the sign up step ahead of time since moving days can be fairly hectic. Find that you need more space? No problem. It’s always easy to make changes as late as move-in day. You’ll receive a security code that allows you to open the security gate and come and go as you please. You’re able to move out at any time. We ask for two weeks’ notice before moving out to help us manage occupancy.
How are payments handled?
You pay the first month’s rent plus half a month’s deposit upon sign up. Rent is due each month on the same day of the month that you signed up. We have many flexible payment options. You can pay with check, money order, debit/credit card or ACH. Please mail checks for all facilities to 335 Twin Lakes Drive, Highlands, NC 28741. If you prefer a certain day of the month for payment, we can prorate your rent to suit that need. Credit and debit cards can be called in or, if you prefer, you can set up an auto pay for any day of the month using your card. We use encryption when transmitting your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information. Payments can also be made through the Customer Portal through this web site as well. Deposits are returned to you when you move out as long as you have provided your two week notice and leave your unit clean and empty.
What if I have a problem creating an account on the customer portal?
You will need your unit number and account number found on receipts and invoices you have received via email. Don't hesitate to call us at 860-933-5693 if you have any questions or problems setting up your account.
Are my items insured?
Our storage facilities and most others do not provide insurance as part of their standard pricing. Some homeowners, renters, and business policies cover items in storage up to a specific limit. Check with your insurance agent for specific limits on your policy. There is also storage-specific insurance available through third parties you can find online. We do not require customers to have insurance so it is a store at your own risk situation.
What sizes are available and can you help with choosing the right size for me?
Our sizes include 5’x5’, 5’x10’, 5’x15’, 7’x10’, 8’x10’, 9’x10’, 10’x10’, 10’x10’, 10’x15’, 10’x20’, 10’x25’, 12’x20’, 14’x20’, and 12’x40’ and many more. These sizes vary by location. Though there are a lot of sizes, our team will be happy to guide you through the process of finding the perfect one for your needs and your budget. Don’t hesitate to give us a call for assistance! In the meantime, you can use the storage calculator right here on our website and check out the following guidelines to help you narrow it down:
- 5’x5’: Approximately the size of a coat closet and can hold the contents of one small room or large closet. Suitable for chairs, small bookcases, suitcases, lamps, and boxes.
- 5’x10’: Approximately the size of a large walk-in closet, this space can hold the contents of one room, including chairs, sofas, bureaus, mattresses, boxes, and totes.
- 5’x15’, 7’x10’, and 8’x10’: From 70 to 80 square feet, these units can hold the contents of two rooms of furniture, boxes, and more.
- 10’x10’ and 10’x12’: From 100 to 120 square feet, use these spaces to hold the contents of three rooms.
- 10’x15’: Approximately 150 square feet, this rental can hold the contents of four rooms (or a two-bedroom apartment).
- 10’x20’: The size of a one car garage, this 200 square foot unit can hold the contents of a five-room house. These spaces can also be used for car storage, especially in the winter months.
- 10’x25’ and above: These units are ideal for business owners, small contractors, and families with large houses.
Why would I need climate-controlled storage?
Severe hot, cold, and humid weather can damage items in storage units. Climate control is an industry term. It is actually temperatue control. Through heat and air conditioning the temperature is kept between 50 and 80 degrees. As a byproduct of the temperature control humidity is greatly reduced. There are months in Spring and Fall where temperature control is not needed and in turn the humidity is not controlled. Important documentation for your home or business, computers & electronics, wood, leather, furniture, mattresses, artwork, clothing, and books can all be damaged by extreme temperature and humidity. Packing boxes securely, preferably using sealable plastic totes, and covering mattresses and furniture with plastic can prevent damage to some extent, but climate control is the best way to minimize any issues.
What about a padlock?
You use your own padlock. If we managed the locks and keys and had access to your unit we would have to insure the contents and pass that cost onto you. This is not very cost effective for you and we prefer to leave the decision on whether to insure the contents up to the customer and not require you to buy insurance. If you lose your key, give us a call and we can restore access.
How is moving out handled?
We request that you provide two weeks’ notice before your move-out. If we don’t know you are moving out, we don’t know that the unit will soon be available and may unnecessarily turn down another customer. If you have to delay the move-out for any reason and need more time, just let us know as soon as you know. Your rent will be prorated by the day as long as the two week notice is provided. When you have completely vacated the unit, call or text us to let us know. We do a quick inspection and then refund your deposit by mailing you a check or crediting your debit or credit card.
Are there items that cannot be stored?
For your safety and the safety of other customers, there are items that cannot be stored with us. These items include flammable materials, paints, fuels, explosives, plants, food or other perishables, and, of course, any illegal contraband such as drugs or firearms. We do not recommend storing valuables.